If you have any comments about the GreenZine Podcasts below, please email Henry Swayze at: email@example.com
Keywords: change in human behavior, sustainability extreme simplicity
Keywords: soil4climate, beef, carbon footprint, growing in dry places, building soil, drought, flood
Keywords: reinventing pathways to action, 4 Questions
Keywords: behavior change, From What is to What If, play, imaginary, future, local, community
Keywords: Bionutrient Association, measuring nutrient density
Keywords: water, land, climate, critical connection
Keywords: organic, regenerative, agriculture, Vermont
Keywords: Thetford Elementary School teaching, parallels between human community and soil microbial communities, soil carbon sponge
Keywords: biochar, research, Cornell, soil remediation, runoff, pH, getting started in your garden, biochar international
Keywords: soil, water, climate, sponge, flood, drought, costs, Vermont
Keywords: water, cloud nucleation, plant cover, soil, Arthur Morgan Institute for Community Solutions
SOIL AND SOUL HEALTH PRINCIPLES
SOIL HEALTH MONITORING GUIDES
Soil Carbon Coalition monitoring materials can be found in their most recent form as free downloads on the Soil Carbon Coalition website
Guide from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) 583 pages. Download the full guide.
A short list of people to learn from. There are many more! (Alphabetical order)
• Soil Health Principles (24 minutes video
• “Soil Mindset" (3 minutes video
• Microbial Roots of Life and Health
• On Increasing Soil Organic Matter and Water Infiltration (2 minute video)
• Keys To Building a Healthy Soil (1 hour video)
Co-founder of the Soil Carbon Coalition. Peter creates very useful maps among other things! His Butterworks Farm Land Listeners blog post includes a link to the Atlas of Biological Work showing water infiltration data collected at Butterworks Farm in Sept 2018 and a link to the first draft of a map showing 4-year averaging of length of green season in the Champlain Valley basin.
• Soil Food Web Compost and Compost Tea (38 minutes)
• Secrets to Soil Fertility Exposed (24 minutes)
• Importance of Holistically Managed Grazing Livestock (9 minutes)
An Australian soil microbiologist with decades of experience teaching and advising governments, farmers, students and communities. Walter is the director of Healthy Soils Australia, and is also part of NGOs including Global Cooling Earth and Regenerate Earth.
• Interview with Walter Jehne on Julien Delorenzo's Tangled Podcast March, 2019
Restoring Water Cycles by Restoring the Soil Carbon Sponge (seminar in Fairlee VT, 2016)
• Part 1 Restoring Water Cycles to Naturally Cool Climates and Reverse Global Warming (2 hrs, 15 minutes)
• Part 2 Regenerating the Soil Carbon Sponge (2 hrs 15 minutes)
• Regenerate Earth The practical drawdown of 20 billion tonnes of carbon back into soils annually, to rehydrate bio-systems and safely cool climates. By Walter Jehne, soil microbiologist, Healthy Soils Australia.
Managing Soils for Soil Carbon Sequestration: Engineering Microbiology. More detailed slides are here.
Compost & The Promise of Microbes Scientist David C. Johnson Explores Microbial Communities, Carbon Sequestration and Compost. Ecofarming Daily. Acres USA. 2018.
Australia: Building soil and capturing carbon (Five, 6-10 minutes videos).
Quorum Sensing in the Soil Microbiome [45 minutes]
SOS: Save Our Soils Acres USA interview with Dr, Christine Jones. 2015.
Well-known for his work as founder of Advancing Eco Agriculture, one of the leading biological agronomy companies in North America, John also hosts a very successful podcast, offers webinars, and has recently launched a blog – all of which can be found at www.johnkempf.com.
Acting as a Species on a Planetary Scale | 2019 Soil & Nutrition Conference [1 hr 45 minutes]
The Hidden Half of Nature: Microbial Roots of Life & Health. (1 hour 20 min)
• The Ecology of Care: Shifting from a Sterile to a Fertile Paradigm. (24 minutes)
• Didi is author of the book, "The Ecology of Care" and "Understanding Soil Health and Watershed Function: A Teacher's Manual". She offers online courses and great resources on her website.
• Investing From the Ground Up by Didi Pershouse. Clean Yield Assets. 2018.
Hope for Reversing Desertification and Climate Change - What You Can Do at Stonewall Farm, Keene NH, September 2018.
Pasture Cropping - Profitable Regenerative Agriculture.
Author of several articles and books including "Cows Save the Planet" and "Water in Plain Site".
ORGANIZATIONS AND WEBSITES
Bionutrient Food Association is establishing itself at a key nexus point in the food movement, organizing around quality in the food supply. Dan Kittredge, Founder and Executive Director. Hosts of the annual Soil & Nutrition Conference in Southbridge, Massachusetts
Soil Carbon Coalition http://soilcarboncoalition.org/
• The Atlasbiowork open source database shows evidence based landscape changes over time.
• Maps showing crop insurance indemnity payments in the US can be found here.. (Check out this map showing the places that have received payments for both flooding and drought on the same land in the same year (2014).
• Maps showing longevity of green season can be found here.
• Download a free teaching manual by Didi Pershouse, Understanding Landscape and Watershed Function.
Soil 4 Climate https://soil4climate.org/resources/
The Agriculture of Hope: Climate Farmers of North Americaby Seth Itzkan, Karl Thidemann, and Steve Keleti. Permaculture Magazine. 2017.
Vermont State: GSI Green Stormwater Infrastructure http://dec.vermont.gov/watershed/cwi/green-infrastructure/gsi
Voices of Water for Climate http://vow4climate.org
Research paper: Water for the Recovery of the Climate: A New Water Paradigm
A Global Action Plan of Climate Recovery by Jan Lambert and Michal Kravcik. Terra Nova Voice. 2015.
Biodiversity For A Livable Climate https://bio4climate.org/resources/